Families are Embraced
Taft Elementary has a long tradition of parent involvement. By staying engaged in your child's progress or event volunteering your time and talents, you are not only helping to support and strengthen our community, you are teaching our children the value of giving back while modeling personal growth and how one contributes to community and society. Learn more about how to get involved with CPS schools.
To get involved with Taft Elementary, contact: Elizabeth Cone, Resource Coordinator.
Families can begin encouraging the education of their children by showing that they truly value education and respect the staff at their student's school.
Some of the ways that parents, caregivers and grandparents can become involved are:
- Helping your child with homework, especially reading together
- Joining committees that help decide school issues (LSDMC, ILT, PTO)
- Giving time to the school, classroom or library
Parent /Teacher Organization (PTO)
PTO is a great way for parents and teachers to get connected to share ideas, concerns and experiences that make Taft Elementary a great place to learn. PTO meets every second Wednesday of the month.
- President — Wanda Daniels
- Vice President — Nathan Lane
- Secretary — TBD
- Treasurer — TBD
Cincinnati Public Schools provides volunteer tutors with training on the basics of how children learn, ways to help a child develop good reading and math skills, and suggested activities that can be shared with students.
The training not only helps volunteers to become stronger and more effective tutors, but assists them in communicating more effectively with school staff.
Local School Decision Making Committee (LSDMC)
The LSDMC is the primary governing body for each school in the district. This committee gives insight and input into important decisions that greatly impact students' lives and shape their educational experiences.
The function of the LSDMCs includes:
- Adopting bylaws, including the school's mission and vision
- Setting measurable goals, based on a needs assessment
- Developing a broad plan (One Plan) to implement these goals
- Completing a mid-year and end-of-year progress report
- Making recommendations and approving the school budget
- Participating in the selection of the principal, when a vacancy exists
- Approving locally initiated changes in the school's program or focus
- Making recommendations to the principal regarding other school issues
- Seeking grants to support the school's programs (optional)
- Coordinating and overseeing the development of the school as a Community Learning Center
The committee is composed of parents, teachers, staff members, students and community members. The LSDMC meets nine times each year.
Instructional Leadership Team (ILT)
The ILT sets the instructional focus and makes the instructional decisions for the school. ILT responsibilities include:
- Developing, reviewing and evaluating the instructional program
- Monitoring and improving school operations and procedures that affect instruction
- Planning and monitoring training of staff
- Creating and maintaining a safe and orderly school environment
The team is composed of the principal, two parent representatives, two non-teaching staff members, and teachers. ILT meets twice a month and as needed.
Security Badges and Background Checks
To assure the safety of students and staff, Cincinnati Public Schools requires security badges for anyone entering CPS' buildings. One-time visitors receive a temporary security badge from the front office. Individuals who visit our buildings on a regular basis, such as volunteers, must obtain a security badge and wear it at all times in our buildings. Learn more about how to obtain a security badge.
There are three steps to getting your CPS volunteer security badge:
- Take your photo ID (i.e.: driver's license) to the Hamilton County Justice Center at 1000 Sycamore (45202) between 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. M-F. Ask for a Hamilton County Background Check. There will be a small fee for the print-out. (513) 046-6220
- Take your background check print-out to the CPS Board of Education at 2651 Burnet Ave. (45219) in Clifton. The Security Office can issue a security badge on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 8:45 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. (513) 363-0123
- From the CPS office call the the Taft office. Ask the secretary to fax the Administrator Authorization Approval Form signed by Principal Brown. (513) 363-5600